I recently made a batch of eggless cinnamon rolls as a test run for Christmas morning. I needed to create a yummy, fluffy cinnamon roll without eggs because my sister is allergic to them. This recipe can be made vegan by substituting vegan butter in place of real butter and skipping the cream cheese in the glaze.
I used some spelt flour (an ancient grain) in this recipe for added flavor and dimension.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Rolls
- 2-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Spelt Flour
- 1 cup oat milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients for Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
Ingredients for Glaze
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 3 oz. butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Heat the oat milk and butter in a bowl in the microwave in 30 second bursts. You want this mixture to be warm but not hot for the yeast to activate. About 110 degrees.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the yeast. Let it sit for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp salt. Stir.
- Add the flours gradually to the mixture and stir. When it becomes thick, remove from bowl and knead for a minute or so until it forms a ball. Do not knead the dough for too long.
- Add the dough to an oiled bowl, cover, and let it rise until doubled in size. (Hint: I have a food dehydrator that I set to low, about 95 degrees. I place my dough inside to rise faster).
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Optional: brush the dough with melted butter.
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon filling in a small bowl.
- Spread the filling mixture across the rectangle.
- Roll the dough tightly along the long edge. Pinch the edges closed.
- Cut the dough into 9 equal portions.
- Place the rolls into a buttered or oiled 8×8 inch square pan, with the swirls facing up.
- Cover and let rise for 30-60 minutes until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while the rolls are rising.
- Optional: brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter just before baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Make the optional glaze by combining the cream cheese and the butter into a bowl. Microwave for about 20 seconds or just long enough that you can whisk the ingredients together easily.
- Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and whisk together.
- Use the whisk to drizzle the glaze on top of the cinnamon rolls.