Hello quilty friends!
I’ve been working on making a small version of the new Dogs in Sweaters pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. After I finished making the 4 dog blocks (post to come soon!) using plaid fabric for the dog sweaters, I decided to make another dog using bright colors in the pillow size.
I pulled these fabrics to use:
- Friedlander Fabric, Elevation in White for the background. It has a subtle pattern of cross-hatching lines.
- Kona Coal for the ears and tail.
- Essex Yarn Dyed Metallic in Fog for extra sparkle in the dog’s body, face, and feet.
- Spectrum by V and Co for Moda #10862 for the pink sweater and pillow binding.
- Remix #15240-50 by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman for the lime green sweater trim.
- The pillow background is a green print from my stash. I don’t have the selvege anymore so I’m not sure what line it is from.
This pattern uses traditional piecing methods and comes together pretty quickly. I pieced the dog with Aurifil 2600, a light gray/silver color, in 50 wt. I also used the same thread to quilt diagonal cross-hatching lines across the pillow front.
I used Aurifil 5017, a lime green color, 50 wt to stitch around the eye glasses and to do the same diagonal quilting on the pillow back.
I couldn’t find the right size pillow form at any local quilt stores, but I finally found one at Ikea! Naturally, I picked up an extra form so I can made a second pillow eventually! 🙂
For a final accent, I added 2 pink hot-fix crystals to the glasses.
I really love how this pillow turned out! It’s a cute, easy project that you can do in a day.
I’ve finished piecing the small quilt using the same pattern, and hope to get it quilted in the next week!
Cute as anything! I grew up with a long-haired dachshund, and that was one smart dog!
It’s absolutely darling, Jennifer! The extra bling on the glasses is a brilliant touch!
Hi Sandi! Good catch on that typo! I’ve updated the pattern name.
The pattern is called “Dogs in Sweaters”, you have Dogs in Quilts. I’m working on it right now either.Thanks, Sandi
Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A