Hello quilty friends!
I’ve been working on making a small version of the new Dogs in Sweaters pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. After I finished making the 4 dog blocks (post to come soon!) using plaid fabric for the dog sweaters, I decided to make another dog using bright colors in the pillow size.
I pulled these fabrics to use:
- Friedlander Fabric, Elevation in White for the background. It has a subtle pattern of cross-hatching lines.
- Kona Coal for the ears and tail.
- Essex Yarn Dyed Metallic in Fog for extra sparkle in the dog’s body, face, and feet.
- Spectrum by V and Co for Moda #10862 for the pink sweater and pillow binding.
- Remix #15240-50 by Ann Kelle for Robert Kaufman for the lime green sweater trim.
- The pillow background is a green print from my stash. I don’t have the selvege anymore so I’m not sure what line it is from.
This pattern uses traditional piecing methods and comes together pretty quickly. I pieced the dog with Aurifil 2600, a light gray/silver color, in 50 wt. I also used the same thread to quilt diagonal cross-hatching lines across the pillow front.
I used Aurifil 5017, a lime green color, 50 wt to stitch around the eye glasses and to do the same diagonal quilting on the pillow back.
I couldn’t find the right size pillow form at any local quilt stores, but I finally found one at Ikea! Naturally, I picked up an extra form so I can made a second pillow eventually! 🙂
For a final accent, I added 2 pink hot-fix crystals to the glasses.
I really love how this pillow turned out! It’s a cute, easy project that you can do in a day.
I’ve finished piecing the small quilt using the same pattern, and hope to get it quilted in the next week!