This muffin recipe is quick and easy, and makes for some tasty blueberry muffins. I wanted a recipe to use up some of my sourdough discard, but also wanted one that is healthy and not too sweet.
I use spelt flour in place of whole wheat flour for both its nutritional benefits and because it is not as dense as whole wheat flour.
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup nondairy milk (your favorite)
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- optional sugar to sprinkle on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°.
- Use non-stick spray on your muffin pans. This recipe yields about 12 regular sized muffins.
- Combine the flours, cornmeal, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, applesauce, milk, and sourdough starter to the dry mixture, and mix together until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries gently.
- Scoop into muffin pan.
- Bake for about 22-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Let me know if you make these muffins!